Time to shop like you mean it. The Tennessee tax free shopping extravaganza begins at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, July 27.
The Mission: fill your buggy to the brim with tax exempt qualified purchases and disregard the 7% state sales tax until Sunday, July 29 at 11:59 p.m.
5 Things to Keep in Mind When Shopping
- Tax-free items include:
– Clothing under $100 per item (including shoes!!!)
– School supplies under $100 per item (including art supplies)
– Computers and tablets under $1,500 per item
- Online purchases of afore mentioned items are included, but the catch is you must buy from a Tennessee retailer and ship to a Tennessee address.
- Some hot ticket items NOT included: Cell phones, video game consoles, jewelry & handbags, and sports gear.
- A few unusual items that will be tax free: diapers, hats, backpacks, clearance items, and costumes (think ‘Best Dressed’ at the Halloween party).
- While many items, including those for home, may not be exempt from tax, many retailers take advantage of the high traffic weekend and run special promotions, so you can still get a great deal.
School supply list? Done deal. But even if you aren’t shopping for kids, there are opportunities for you to benefit from hitting the shops this weekend. Good luck!
Maybe we’ll see you in the shoe department!